Full-Time Employment Opportunities
Senior Editor, Literacy
The Senior Editor, Literacy role entails overseeing multiple editorial projects independently and concurrently, with duties that include:
- Serving as the lead editor on assigned projects;
- Ensuring project guidelines and expectations are clearly defined;
- Working with Editorial Senior Staff to ensure that projects are staffed appropriately according to client quality and budget expectations;
- Managing internal and external editorial resources on assigned projects;
- Overseeing quality control processes on assigned projects to ensure that content meets client expectations and is culturally responsive;
- Ensuring client satisfaction by managing client expectations and communicating clearly to resolve issues;
- Anticipating risks to schedule, quality, and budget, and working proactively to mitigate them;
- Working with PM and Editorial Senior Staff to track project budgets and schedules;
- Working with management and clients to identify and solve project issues;
- Writing on projects, as needed.
In addition to acting as the primary editor on assigned projects, this role may also serve as an editorial resource on projects under the direction of our Editorial Senior Staff.
This role reports to the Senior Supervising Editor, Literacy and SEL.
In alignment with Westchester’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, strong preference will be given to candidates who contribute to the diversity of Westchester and the industry, and the environment of belonging and inclusion we strive to cultivate.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Having an awareness of and dedication to culturally responsive education (CRE) best practices;
- Having 5 years or more experience working within educational publishing, with 2-3 years in a lead editor role;
- Being well-versed in Literacy content development and state standards;
- Having a demonstrated ability to manage projects to budget, quality, and schedule expectations;
- Having a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other departments, including design, art, production, and project management;
- Having a growth-oriented mindset to develop into new roles as the organization evolves.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume with project list in PDF format to this link.
Freelance Writers and Editors
Westchester Education Services is looking for writers and editors for our editorial team. Writers and editors should have experience in the classroom, as well as demonstrated experience creating content for the school market. We are especially interested in candidates with a background in child psychology or who have experience developing social-emotional learning materials. Please reference these criteria if they are applicable, along with your relevant skills in your Shortlist application. Work is assigned by project, and we will contact candidates based on the availability of an assignment that fits your skill set.
Freelance Career and Technical Education Content Creators and Subject Matter Experts
Westchester Education Services is building a network of content creators and subject matter experts to develop middle school, high school, and postsecondary career and technical education (CTE) materials. Our focus is on subjects related to the following career areas: Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources; Business Management and Administration/Finance/Marketing; Health Sciences; Hospitality and Tourism; and Information Technology.
Candidate requirements vary according to the role (content creator or subject matter expert). All should have these qualifications:
- robust understanding of CTE subject matter associated with one or more of the targeted career areas;
- ability to clearly explain concepts associated with one or more of the targeted career areas, with middle school, high school, and postsecondary audiences in mind;
- capacity to reliably commit time and energy to the production of quality CTE educational products; and
- attention to detail and the ability to conscientiously follow guidelines and meet deadlines.
Additionally, content creators should have experience developing educational materials for one or more of the targeted career areas, proficiency in grammar, and well-developed writing skills. Subject matter experts should have experience working in, conducting training for, or developing educational materials for one or more of the targeted career areas.
If you have the qualifications listed above, complete the Shortlist application, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Freelance Project Manager
Westchester Education Services is seeking part-time freelance Project Management specialists with at least three years of experience managing projects in the publishing industry. Experience with project management in K-12 educational publishing is preferred. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Freelance Art & Design Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking experienced freelance Graphic Designers, Illustrators, and Art/Media Researchers to join our freelance talent pool. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Freelance Production Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance composition specialists with a background in educational publishing and experience with software such as Adobe InDesign. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Westchester Education Services offers a paid internship for students at colleges and universities in the Dayton, Ohio area. Please check with your college/university Career Services department for information on internship listings at your school.
Please check back on this site regularly, and follow us on our LinkedIn page for updates regarding positions that become available.
Westchester Education Services is a division of Westchester Publishing Services, an employee-owned, U.S.-based organization that extends the capacity of publisher clients in the education, academic, trade, and journal spaces. To learn more about Westchester Publishing Services, visit our main website.